How to Write a Strong Thesis Statement
What is a strong thesis statement? You might be wondering how to write a strong thesis statement that sells your argument right from the start. A well thought out, and convincing thesis statement interests the reader, and they develop a yearning for reading your work. It is not enough to be aware of the fact that a strong thesis statement is crucial. You must, therefore, know how to write it in the best possible way.
What Is a Strong Thesis Statement?
A strong thesis statement must put across your main idea for an essay or research paper in a convincing manner such that, it captures the attention of the reader right from the beginning of your writing.
A good thesis statement is like an advertisement that is to promote a new business idea. If the ad is not appealing, then the design will not sell. However, if the commercial and marketing is top notch, then the business will become a big success. As much as the thesis statement is not the paper itself but just a small section of it, it gives the reader something to look forward to. Many will tell you that this is a good thing.
Why Is It Important to Have a Strong Thesis Statement?
Students asking “why is it important to have a strong thesis statement?” should know that a well-written thesis is crucial because apart from capturing the attention of the reader, it:
- Informs the reader of how well you have interpreted the topic under discussion.
- Helps you organize and build your argument.
- Serves as a blueprint of the paper and tells your reader what to expect.
- Introduces the argument of your essay to the reader.
Tips to Writing a Strong Thesis Statement
Having defined and looked at the significance of a thesis statement, we take a look at how to write one.
- Start by putting down a question, and then answer it
Despite how complicated the subject is, any thesis statement can be created by providing an answer to a question.
- Determine the kind of paper you are writing
Different types of essays serve different roles. Some are expository, analytical, and some argumentative. After creating your thesis statement, you tailor it to fit the types of essay you are working on.
- Make it more powerful
Now that you have narrowed down to a thesis statement specific to the kind of essay you are writing, it is imperative that you make it more convincing. You can do this by expounding on one main issue. Excitingly approach the topic.
- Ensure that your thesis statement is provable
The point of your thesis statement is to keep the focus on the subject matter of your discussion. It should, therefore, not be random but created after adequate research on the topic at hand.
Strong Thesis Statement Checklist
We now have our thesis statement. How then do we know if it is strong enough and relevant? This strong thesis statement checklist will guide you through.
Here are things you should look out for:
- The thesis statement should be specific and concise. Avoid vague and ambiguous words altogether. Only cover what you will discuss in your paper.
- The statement should be in the introduction. You should provide it early in your essay. Avoid burying it in the middle or the end of the paragraph.
- Ensure that your statement thesis is original. Write it from scratch and do not quote already written thesis statements. Use your ideas and words. Do not copy paste.
- Prove that your research paper or essay supports the thesis statement without straying from it. For this reason, you may need to revise your thesis statement in the case that you change the topic you are writing on.
- The thesis statement should take a stand and express one main idea.
Here are a few examples to guide you through:
‘The current generations of students have become slaves of the internet due to their over-reliance on it.’
‘Democracy was introduced to involve everyone in governance; however, it is currently being used by selfish individuals to cling to power.’
‘Although studying abroad is one of the most culturally valuable experiences you can have in college; there’s the need for students to be ready for the culture shock that awaits.’
After reading this guide, creating a strong thesis statement should be less challenging. However, you might find that you still need help in making a strong thesis statement. If this is the case, ExpertWriter has got you covered. We are an online writing service that writes a wide range of academic papers. Go ahead and place your order, make a payment, and wait for the delivery of your paper, which is guaranteed to be well-written and researched.